Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Rise of the NBA Nerd

Honestly, I'm not much for the NBA or rap music so I couldn't really catch on or relate to what the article was talking about. The author talked about the shift in black culture and what celebrities can and can't wear acceptably anymore. It talked about the complete 180 with the way a style has been portrayed. The nerd and sophisticated look has been changed to be acceptable in black culture whereas in the 90's and early 2000's, it was looked at as looking to get bullied. These are the looks similar to Carlton Banks and (somewhat) Steve Urkel. They used to be synonymous with being a nerd, gay, white and just were not acceptable when those characters were around. I honestly hadn't looked very deeply at why celebrities had begun to dress this way and the fact that it didn't use to be okay not too terribly long ago. I never saw it as proving a point or trying to get a voice out to say it's okay. I know that I'd heard people talking about it being a sell-out move by celebrities and that they were no longer proud of the heritage and culture that they'd grown up around. Maybe they do actually just enjoy the new style coming out. Maybe they're being made to wear the more sophisticated and "white" clothes by publicists and coaches. I'll definitely have to pay closer attention to what's going on around me in that aspect from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment